Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A2: Entombment (R)


Raphael. Entombment. 1507. Oil on panel.

Linear- The solid blocks of color (the red stands out to me the most)
Planar- Again, there is little dimension. Perhaps a bit more than in La Primavera, however the figures just look like they are standing in a line in front of a back drop
Closed-I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the figures are what close the scene off. They are leaning into each other in a perfectly symmetrical manner with the V in the center. Overall, I don't think that this painting best exemplifies closed vs. open.
Multiplicity- Each figure could be cut out. They do not support one another. When I said that they lean into each other-- it's like they're leaning in as far as possible without physically touching.
Absolute Clarity- Jesus just died

1 comment:

  1. I think I would call this one open. Look behind the figures. There is a road, a hill, etc. Also, some of the figures are cut off on the right. Granted, this all contributes to the absolute clarity.

    Find dates.

    All of the pieces (especially near the cusp or R vs. B) may have some overlaps.

    ReplyDelete